Back: 2 yards, cut crosswise into (12) 6"xWOF strips
Front: 1/3 yard cuts of 6 fabrics, cut into (12) 6"xWOF strips
Thread to match your fabric - it WILL show
This throw has no batting; the front and back are pieced together in a "quilt as you go" fashion with the seams on the OUTSIDE of the front using a 1/2" seam allowance.
1. Lay out your front strips in the order you want them be in the finished throw. You might want to label them 1-12, or just stack them in order.
3. Lay out Strip #1 and Strip #2 as shown. Notice that Strip #1 is wrong sides together with a backing strip, as is Strip #2. Make sure the left side selveges are even.
6. Open out the sewn strip set and lay out Strip #3.
Lay your throw on your cutting mat. Trim off both sides of selvedges to make nice, clean, selvege-free edges. No need to measure - just trim as straight as you can.
11. With your sharp scissors, snip all the seam allowances and the outer edge 3/8"-1/2" apart to make the fringe. Be sure you don't snip the seam line stitching!
Wasn't that easy? Here's a few helpful hints?
- Pressing each strip set (front to back, wrong sides together) before sewing will help the fabrics stick together so that there's less shifting as you sew.
- ALWAYS make sure that you are looking at the newest FRONT SIDE STRIP as you sew. If the backing fabric is on top, it's a boo-boo and your seam will be on the back instead of the front.
- Don't have a 1/2" seam allowance marked on the throatplate of your sewing machine? My not-inexpensive German machine didn't either, so I made a temporary seam guide using two business cards. Mark a line 1/2" from the edge on one card. Slip this card under your presser foot and drop the needle down on the line. Place the second business card next to the one under your needle and tape that card onto the bed of yor machine. Remove the card under the needle and voila! Instant (and temporary) seam guide!
I promised you a Mail Call, so here's the details. Leave a comment with your favorite Summer Camp memory (or anything else you'd like to share), and we'll pick one winner at random to receive a special care package directly from Lizzy House containing a Fat Quarter set of the 1001 Peeps in the Basra Blue colorway! Comments will be open until midnight, Thursday, July 21. I'll return from my own Summer Camp on Monday, July 25th and select and announce a winner.
I'd love to see your project - feel free to post it on our Facebook page! We love seeing everybody's projects!