Monday, March 5, 2012

One Week, One Thing - March 5

My One Week, One Thing pledge continues.

This past week I accomplished both goals I set for myself.  The Amish With A Twist (also know as the Black Beast) is bound and hanging in the store behind the checkout counter!  It is beautiful, if I may say so myself.  We have opened up 12 more slots in this program; if you are interested but haven't signed up yet, we've made room for you!
I also quilted and bound the Four Patch Easy Peasy sample.  We haven't cut the kits just yet, but hope to have them cut and packaged up this week.  I'll announce in the newsletter when they are ready.

I also took time this week to play with a new block.  The "Granny Square" is all the rage on the modern blogs these days; however, the block tutorial has you make this block completely with squares set on point, where you then cut off the edges to square up the block once you are done.  However, this method results in bias edges all the way around the block.  Not my favorite, and certainly not ideal for the novice quilter.  So, since I have been playing with Marti Michell templates, and Set B was used is February's project, I decided to see what I could do.
The block as I made it uses templates B12 for the squares (you can also just cut 2-1/2" squares), B13 for the side setting triangles, and B14 for the corner triangles.  If you use the B13 and B14 templates, make sure to change the grainline to the long side of the triangle on B13 and the short side of the triangle on B14.  If you don't, you'll have bias edges just like we were trying to avoid!  The block measures 9" unfinished (8-1/2" finished).  You can also make this block using template Set A and 2" squares - but your finished block will be smaller.  I haven't made one yet to check the measurements.

My stepson and his wife are expecting a baby and the shower is in June, so I plan to use this block in a quilt for them.  My goal for next week is to get at least the 12 blocks made for this quilt.

And last, but not least, I am still plugging away on my English Paper Pieced Double Diamonds.  I have made the half blocks for the top and bottom edges; and have sewn the blocks onto one of the edges.
I hope to get the other edge sewn in tomorrow night at my small group meeting.

I still have to pull fabrics and make the corner blocks, but looking at this photo, I COULD leave them off and have 45 degree corners!  Should I add corner blocks to make a square quilt, or leave it 'as is' with an interesting corner treatment?  Help me out and vote!!

What One Thing are you going to do next week?

4 comments:

Lori said...

I am going to cut out all of the fabrics for my nephews quilt and start piecing the top. My parents are visiting so it will be tough to get it done but I'm going to give it my best shot!!

Trae said...

My 'one thing' for this week is to get at least 4 Marti and Me blocks complete.

Diane Vasil said...

I swear you never sleep! I am going to try and cut out and sew a new block of my next quilt project. It is a wedding gift for my son's best friend. I saw a beautiful quilt on etsy that was made of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and am going to try and make one similar, it is a half block log cabin with the points all facing downward on the front of the quilt.

Tilly said...

Oh, Diane, TRUST me! I sleep! But I don't clean much, and my husband does the laundry. I cook when I have to. I just hide in my sewing cave, or do EPP while watching TV with the hubs.